Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Fresh Start: The Fast Metabolism Diet

It's shameful how long it's been since I posted on here. I hope to be better. Last time I posted here I talked about some problems I was having in my personal life that were really taking a toll on my weight loss journey. Well, I got those under control. But instead of going back to the plan I was doing at the time, I wanted to step back and rethink my approach.

I am so sick of dieting. I've been watching my weight since I was 12. I have worried about most of the things I have put in my mouth since then. I have counted sooooooooo many calories. I have eaten nothing but cereal (I took the special K diet to a whole new extreme in college), and starved myself. I have wrecked my metabolism with 19 years of crash dieting. I can not do it anymore.

BUT, I can not stand being fat any more either. I want to be healthy and fit and I don't want to have to carry all this extra weight around.

And let's be honest, I don't want to look at pictures of myself and be like, "Who is that person?"

A friend of mine mentioned The Fast Metabolism Diet on her blog a while back. It's basically a diet (not a good word...it's more of a lifestyle change) that repairs your metabolism and gets it back to burning energy like it should instead of storing fat. I ordered the book. Instantly I was drawn in because the author got her degree in animal science, and while I don't agree on all of her views (such as hormones in milk and organic meats), her science is sound. It just made sense.

It starts you off in a phase based food plan. Days 1-2 are good carbs, fruits, veggies, and lean protein. Days 3-4 are lean meat and veggies. I actually thought that would be the worst but I actually don't mind it that much. Days 5-7 are everything above plus good fats.

The main rules are no soy, no wheat, no corn, no dairy (WHAT!? the hardest part for me), no sugar, no caffeine, no artificial anything.

I will be perfectly honest....I have not had a complete day where I have not cheated.

That being said, I have lost 4.5 lbs in 2 weeks....with the cheats. It's good to have the scale moving, but more importantly, I feel better. I feel less flabby when I'm running as well. My running has taken a hit as I just don't have as much energy as I did before, but that is getting better. My body is getting used to using this new fuel instead of the junk I've been eating.

I've learned that I like sprouted grain bread. So does James. I love to make egg white french toast with it and top it with strawberries or blackberries. I love chicken sausages. Brown rice pasta (while expensive) tastes just as good as regular pasta.

This diet is expensive. The food costs lots more than what I usually ate and fed my family. There is also a lot of cooking involved. Yes, I love to cook...no I don't care to do it at every meal.

I'm still striving to have a perfect day. I will be finishing out the 4 week repair portion of this diet and then I am going on maintenance until after the Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon and then I'm going to do it again....hopefully better next time.

I will keep ya'll posted on my progress and issues! I hope for much positive change!

No comments:

Post a Comment